Test your knowledge, and/or learn some interesting facts about events that have happened on 6 September.
1. Which ship set sail from Plymouth, England on 6 September 1620, bound for the New World with 102 pilgrims on board?
2. Which (future) king of England spent all day concealed in an oak tree on 6 September 1651, in order to escape the Roundheads?
3. Which blaze was finally extinguished in London on 6 September 1666? It had lasted for four days, and had destroyed 80% of the city, including St. Paul’s Cathedral.
4. In which North American city was the first lighthouse built on 6 September 1716?
5. Which woodworking tool was patented by Thomas Blanchard on 6 September 1819?
6. On 6 September 1916, a shop called the “Piggly Wiggly” was opened by Clarence Saunders in Memphis, Tennessee, and was the first of its kind. What type of shop was it?
7. Which musician recorded tracks for George Harrison’s While My Guitar Gently Weeps on 6 September 1968?
8. Which Czech tennis player asked for US political asylum in New York City, during the US Open on 6 September 1975?
9. Which movie starring Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush premiered at the Telluride Film Festival on 6 September 2010?
10. Who accepted the Democratic nomination for US President on 6 September 2012?
Help Us Fill The Calendar! Do you, or a friend or family member enjoy a trivia quiz? Tell us the date you were born, and we will find out what and who you share your special day with. Please include ‘On This Day Trivia’ in the subject.
Note: This trivia quiz is a work in progress. Whenever we find clues that are applicable to this date, we will add them.