Test your knowledge, and/or learn some interesting facts about events that have happened on 5 September.
1. Known as the Sun King, which French monarch was born on
5 September 1638?
2. Which Russian Tsar imposed a tax on beards on 5 September 1698?
3. Who was elected President of the Republic of Texas on
5 September 1836?
4. Which actress was born Myra Breckenbridge on 5 September 1940?
5. Which (British) singer-songwriter was born on the island of Zanzibar on 5 September 1946?
6. Who wrote the novel Dr Zhivago? It was first published on
5 September 1958.
7. Which road tunnel opened in the Swiss Alps on 5 September 1980?
8. Which player ended (tennis great) Ivan Lendl’s bid for a 9th straight US Open final on 5 September 1990? He would go on to win his first Grand Slam title.
9. Who was chosen as President of the African National Congress on
5 September 1991?
10. Which city was selected to host the 2004 Olympic Games on
5 September 1997?
11. What type of (new) chocolate was announced by Belgian-Swiss cocoa company Barry Callebaut on 5 September 2017?
Help Us Fill The Calendar! Do you, or a friend or family member enjoy a trivia quiz? Tell us the date you were born, and we will find out what and who you share your special day with. Please include ‘On This Day Trivia’ in the subject.
Note: This trivia quiz is a work in progress. Whenever we find clues that are applicable to this date, we will add them.