On This Day Trivia Quiz – 26 February
Test your knowledge, and/or learn some interesting facts about events that have happened on 26 February.
1. What was issued by the Bank of England for the first time on 26 February 1797?
2. Which composer’s 4th Symphony (The Tragic) premiered on 26 February 1869?
3. On 26 February 1907, Royal Oil and Shell merged to become which entity?
4. On 26 February 1914, HMHS Britannic was launched in Belfast. What was the name of her sister ship?
5. In which New York City borough were red and green traffic lights installed on 26 February 1930?
6. Which baseball player was released from the New York Yankees on 26 February 1935? He subsequently signed with the Boston Braves.
7. Which English soprano was born on 26 February 1949? She was appointed a Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire in 2007.
8. On it’s first journey on 26 February 1981, which French train averaged 380 kph?
9. Which Michael Jackson went #1 on 26 February 1983? It stayed there for 37 weeks.
10. Which NBA basketballer (single-handedly) scored 58 points in one game on 26 February 1987? It was a record for his team for the Chicago Bulls.
11. Who exceeded Sunil Gavaskar’s record for the most Test runs (10,123) on 26 February 1993?
12. Which London finance house collapsed on 26 February 1995? It was due to the huge losses incurred in Singapore by rogue trader Nick Leeson.
13. At the 84th Academy Awards on 26 February 2012, which (silent) movie won five Oscars?
Note: This trivia quiz is a work in progress. Whenever we find clues that are applicable to this date, we will add them.