Test your knowledge, and/or learn some interesting facts about events that have happened on 22 January.
1. Which British statesman, known by the title 1st Viscount St Alban, was born on 22 January 1561? He was the first Englishman to circumnavigate the globe.
2. Which English poet famous for the line “No man is an island…” was born on 22 January 1573?
3. Which essential service began between New York & Boston on 22 January 1673?
4. Who became Speaker of the House of Lords on 22 January 1689?
5. Which country ceded the Falkland Islands to Britain on 22 January 1771?
6. Born on 22 January 1775, which French physicist and mathematician has a unit of electrical measurement named after him?
7. Born on 22 January 1898, who directed the movie Battleship Potemkin (1925)?
8. Which British monarch’s reign ended on 22 January 1901?
9. Which British Prime Minister resigned on 22 January 1924, following recent defeat to the Conservatives in the general election?
10. Which former US President died on 22 January 1973?
11. Which Space Shuttle was launched on 22 January 1992?
12. Who won a Golden Globe (Best Actor in a Motion Picture) for his performance in Philadelphia (1993) on 22 January 1994?
13. Which Space Shuttle successfully returned to Earth on 22 January 1997?
14. On which dwarf planet had water vapour detected on 22 January 2014?
Note: This trivia quiz is a work in progress. Whenever we find clues that are applicable to this date, we will add them. Please send suggestions and corrections to email@example.com