Test your knowledge, and/or learn some interesting facts about events that have happened on 15 August.
1. In which German city did the construction of the cathedral begin on 15 August 1248?
2. Which religious society was formed by Ignatius of Loyola on 15 August 1534?
3. Which ship set sail from Plymouth England on 15 August 1620, bound for the New World with 102 Pilgrims on board?
4. Which French statesman was born on 15 August 1769?
5. Born 15 August 1771, which Scottish novelist wrote Ivanhoe (1819)?
6. Charlotte Bronte sent her manuscript for which novel to the publishers on 15 August 1847.
7. Which British Prime Minister formed his fourth and last government on 15 August 1892?
8. On 15 August 1903, which team played their first Rugby Test match against Australia’s Wallabies at the Sydney Cricket Ground, defeating them 22-3?
9. Born on 15 August 1912, which American chef wrote Mastering the Art of French Cooking (1961)?
10. Which waterway was officially opened to trade on15 August 1914?
11. Which movie starring Judy Garland, Jack Haley and Margaret Hamilton premiered on 15 August 1939?
12. Which country gained its independence from Britain on 15 August 1947?
13. Born on 15 August 1950, who is the only member of the British Royal Family to have have competed at the Olympic Games?
13. Who became the first President of Indonesia on 15 August 1950?
14. Which music festival began near Bethel, New York on 15 August 1969?
16. Which country created its own time zone, moving its clocks back half an hour to GMT+8.5 on 15 August 2015?
Help Us Fill The Calendar! Do you, or a friend or family member enjoy a trivia quiz? Tell us the date you were born, and we will find out what and who you share your special day with. Please include ‘On This Day Trivia’ in the subject.
Note: This trivia quiz is a work in progress. Whenever we find clues that are applicable to this date, we will add them.