Test your knowledge, and/or learn some interesting facts about events that have happened on 14 March.
1. Born on the 14 March 1835, which Italian astronomer discovered the “canals” of Mars?
2. Born on 14 March 1879, which Nobel Prize-winning physicist is famous of developing the theory of relativity? He has a chemical element (atomic number 99) named after him.
3. Which comic opera by Gilbert and Sullivan premiered at London’s Savoy Theatre on 14 March 1885?
4. Who patented his navigable balloon on 14 March 1889?
5. Born on 14 March 1920, which cartoonist created the comic strip Dennis the Menace (1951)?
6. Born Maurice Micklewhite on 14 March 1933, which actor has starred in the movies Alfie (1966), Sleuth (1972 and 2007), Educating Rita (1983) and The Cider House Rules (1999)?
7. Born on 14 March 1933, which Grammy Award-winning composer produced Michael Jackson’s album Thriller (1982); the biggest selling LP of all time.
8. Born on 14 March 1948, which actor starred opposite Meg Ryan in the romantic comedy When Harry Met Sally (1989)?
9. Which rising star Australian cricketer hit twin tons (for Tasmania) on 14 March 1993? He was aged 18 years and 84 days.
10. Who was named as the new President of the People’s Republic of China on 14 March 2013?
Note: This trivia quiz is a work in progress. Whenever we find clues that are applicable to this date, we will add them.