Test your knowledge, and/or learn some interesting facts about events that have happened on 14 August.
1. Which Scottish king was killed in battle by his rival, and first cousin Macbeth on 14 August 1040?
2. Who wrote the play Tamburlaine the Great? It was published on
14 August 1590.
3. Which country became the first to introduce driving licences and motor vehicle registration on 14 August 1893?
4. Born on 14 August 1895, which Australian cricketer scored a century from 67 balls in 70 minutes at the Johannesburg Test in 1921.
5. Born on 14 August 1929, Dick Tiger was a boxer who was a two-time undisputed world middleweight champion . He was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame in 1991. In which country was he born?
6. Which piece of legislation was signed into law by US President
Franklin D. Roosevelt on 14 August 1935? It introduced old age pensions and unemployment benefits.
7. Born on 14 August 1945, which actor is known for his performances in the movies The Three Amigos (1996), Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988) and Father of the Bride (1991)?
8. Born on on 14 August 1947, which American novelist is famous for writing such titles as Jewels (1992), Mixed Blessings (1995) and Safe Harbour (2007).
9. Born on 14 August 1957, which politician served as Australia’s 35th Treasurer?
10. Which actor played the role of Jess Fisher in the romantic comedy
When Harry Met Sally (1989)? He died on 14 August 2006.
Help Us Fill The Calendar! Do you, or a friend or family member enjoy a trivia quiz? Tell us the date you were born, and we will find out what and who you share your special day with. Please include ‘On This Day Trivia’ in the subject.
Note: This trivia quiz is a work in progress. Whenever we find clues that are applicable to this date, we will add them.