On This Day Trivia Quiz – 12 February
Test your knowledge, and/or learn some interesting facts about events that have happened on 12 February.
1. Born on 12 February 1791, who invented the first US steam locomotive, named the Tom Thumb in 1830?
2. Which American politician and 16th President of the United States, was born in 12 February 1809?
3. Born on 12 February 1809, which English naturalist conceived the theory of natural evolution by national selection?
4. Which country’s War of Independence began on 12 February 1821?
5. Which Russian prima ballerina, famous for her performances of Fokine’s The Dying Swan, was born in St. Petersburg on 12 February 1881?
6. Which country adopted the Gregorian calendar on 12 February 1912?
7. Born on 12 February 1912, which English author wrote the novel A Horseman Riding By (1966)
8. Who became British Minister of Colonies on 12 February 1921?
9. Born in Florence on 12 February 1923, who was the film director of Romeo and Juliet (1968)?
10. Which musical composition for solo piano by George Gershwin, premiered in New York City on 12 February 1924?
11. Who conducted the first secret demonstrations of RADAR (radio signals detecting aircraft) on 12 February 1935?
12. Which French fashion designer presented his New Look collection on 12 February 1947?
13. On 12 February 1961, the USSR launched the spacecraft Venera 1 towards which planet?
14. Which cartoonist, famous for creating the comic strip Peanuts, died on 12 February 2000?
Note: This trivia quiz is a work in progress. Whenever we find clues that are applicable to this date, we will add them.