Test your knowledge, and/or learn some interesting facts about events that have happened on 1 May.
1. Who wrote the play School for Scandal? It premiered in London on
1 May 1777.
2. Who composed the opera Marriage of Figaro? It was first performed in Vienna on 1 May 1786.
3. Issued in Great Britain on 1 May 1840, what was the name of the world’s first adhesive postage stamp?
4. Which siblings published the first part of their German Dictionary on
1 May 1852? It was fully completed in 1961.
5. Which baseball player hit his 50th MLB home run on 1 May 1920? It was his first for the New York Yankees.
6. Which New York skyscraper opened on 1 May 1931?
7. Which Canadian coin was circulated for the first time 1 May 1935?
8. Which super-hero appeared in Detective Comics #27 on 1 May 1939?
9. Which sporting event (scheduled to be held in the city of Helsinki) was cancelled on 1 May 1940 because of WWII?
10. Which Orson Welles movie premiered in New York City on 1 May 1941?
11. On 1 May 1941, General Mills introduced an oat-based ready to eat (cold) breakfast cereal called Cheeri-Oats. By what name is known today?
12. Which toy was introduced on 1 May 1952?
13. Who won the Pulitzer Prize for her novel To Kill a Mockingbird on
1 May 1961?
14, Which rock group released the song Brown Sugar on 1 May 1971?
15. Who wrote the historical romance novel Jewels? It was published on
1 May 1992.
16. Which Australian cricketer scored a career best 200, including a partnership of 231 with his brother Mark (126) in the team’s 4th Test win against the West Indies on 1 May 1995?
17. Who was elected Prime Minister of the United Kingdom on 1 May 1997?
18. Which movie directed by Ridley Scott and starring Russell Crowe and Joaquin Phoenix, premiered in (in Los Angeles) on 1 May 2000?
19. Which Italian tenor sang for the Pope on 1 May 2000?
20. Which British model launched a clothing line with the Topshop chain on the 1 May 2007?
Which Canadian singer wrote Summer of ’69? He received the Governor-General’s Performing Arts Awards for his 30 years of contributions to the arts on 1 May 2010.
Help Us Fill The Calendar! Do you, or a friend or family member enjoy a trivia quiz? Tell us the date you were born, and we will find out what and who you share your special day with. Please include ‘On This Day Trivia’ in the subject.
Note: This trivia quiz is a work in progress. Whenever we find clues that are applicable to this date, we will add them.