Test your knowledge, and/or learn some interesting facts about events that have happened on 1 August.
1. Destined to become King Henry VII, who sailed with his army to England on 1 August 1485?
2. On 1 August 1498, Christopher Columbus landed at ‘Isla Santa’. Which country would it later become?
3. Which British financial institution had its foundations laid on 1 August 1732?
4. Which gaseous chemical element was discovered by Joseph Priestley on 1 August 1774?
5. Who became the first woman to discover a comet on 1 August 1785?
6. Which country became the first to use the metric system on
1 August 1793?
7. Which London bridge was opened to traffic on 1 August 1831?
8. Which automobile was first produced on 1 August 1941?
9. Which bowler took 6 for 70 in Australia’s 4th Test win over England at Old Trafford on 1 August 1961?
10. Which political scandal was exposed by Bernstein and Woodward in the Washington Post on 1 August 1972?
11. Which rock group began their Voodoo Lounge world tour on
1 August 1994?
12. Which fantasy novel by George R. R. Martin was first published on
1 August 1996?
13. Which country’s crown jewels were stolen in a heist on 1 August 2018?
14. How many Australian Rugby League players form part of the Immortals? It was last added to on 1 August 2018, with five new members (including Dally Messenger and Mal Meninga) being added to the illustrious group.
Help Us Fill The Calendar! Do you, or a friend or family member enjoy a trivia quiz? Tell us the date you were born, and we will find out what and who you share your special day with. Please include ‘On This Day Trivia’ in the subject.
Note: This trivia quiz is a work in progress. Whenever we find clues that are applicable to this date, we will add them.